The fire’s over and so is the danger – right?!? WRONG!! Toxic gases are still around and when you remove your SCBA During overhaul you breathe in those toxic fumes.
Randy Mantooth (who played Johnny Gage on the hit series Emergency!) has spoken at many events on fire/EMS subjects – and a few years ago was apart of putting together a video of the dangers of Carbon Monoxide/Cyanide poisoning during overhaul:
More recently NorthWestFire in conjunction with (xxxx) put together this video:
I do not have an article specifically on SCBA, but did find a couple written, one on Gear and on PPEs (either of which might could include SCBA) from my personal blog (and which I’ll be bringing over here as time allows