Never Forget those who lost their lives on that fatal day on September 11, 2011.
Never Forget those who ran towards the burning, crumbling towers to save lives.
Never Forget those on Flight 91 who took control and crashed landed (sacrificing their own lives) away from the destined path of the hijackers – Thus saving countless lives.
Let’s always remember these HEROES. Honor them by keeping yourself safe and each and every day and doing what you can to ensure that you (and your brothers) go home at the end of your shift to your loved ones!!!
In the Fire Service & Police Service, there is no such thing as a guarantee that Everyone will Go Home… I’m sure those who sacrificed their lives on 9-11 didn’t wake up that morning saying, “Hey, today is a good day to die” or “Gee, I hope something happens that keeps me from going home to my loved ones” and I doubt that their spouses, parents, friends, families entertained thoughts of loosing a loved one that day… There are No Guarantees, but you can do your part to stay as safe as possible so that you have every available chance of going home to your loved ones.
- Maintain and keep Tools, Gear, PPE, etc in top working order
- those PPE’s that are in “top working order” – They don’t do much good if they’re not being used!
- Train!!! Train Train Train until you can do in your sleep — And then Train some more.
- When in doubt – Call the May Day! Better to call and be a life fool, then to doubt and be dead.
- Always Maintain Situational Awareness of the situation in you are in.
- There’s a reason for Safety Ropes & Guide Lines — USE THEM!
- Don’t overestimate your abilities & capabilities.
- Remember you are no help to anyone else if you, yourself, are in trouble.
These are just a few things that come to mind but by know means an exhaustive list.
StayAlert, StaySafe, StayAlive!!